Monday 23 October 2017

Complaint about TV and newspapers - clarity about online paywalls

No response yet to tweets yesterday about the Sunday Times. To be clear, this is a complaint. In theory there should be a response in Twitter form or somewhere. BBC Marr show and ITV Peston both had news that Sir Keir Starmer "wrote" in Sunday Times about votes in parliament re EU. I wanted to check this out so bought a copy of the Sunday Times. I was surprised to find that the actual article was online only. I followed the suggested link to discover it was behind a paywall. Actually I guess there was a link to the article if I could have read all the article I had already paid for. ( If I have just got this wrong please someone send a link, this is just about my own experience. )

Complaint is not just about the Sunday Times. How can TV talk about the "papers" without making it clear what the deal is? Is there a bias? Marr panel finds a story to say that papers are still much read on a Sunday. "Hooray".

Might TV or someone report what is happening with newspapers? Circulation numbers etc. ?

How long will Sir Keir and other MPs bother to write for newspapers if they get this sort of coverage? If online only why not write somewhere not behind a paywall? Why is there a convention that it is only news if somehow associated with paper?

Slightly off topic, Corbyn started to recover public profile direct to camera on own YouTube channel. just my take.

Another thing, Marr claims including Huff Post on tablet shows BBC "not living in 19th century". I checked some dates in Wikipedia. News about this comes slowly, not anytime soon?

Times   1795

Telegraph 1855

Mail 1896

Express 1900

Guardian   1821

Mirror 1903


No comments:

Post a Comment